Monday, January 3, 2011

11 for 11 (Resolutions for the Year)

Its always an interesting exercise to set goals and resolutions for the coming year. Something about a New Year makes us want to renew our hope that we will achieve our goals again. Every year millions of us go through the same exercise of setting goals for ourselves on the 1st of the year with the hope that we will see them through - jobs, weight loss, love, relationships, friends - everything goes.

After all the year that has gone by is gone best viewed through the rear view mirror but the year ahead is the one that our eyes are focused on through the windshield.

In the spirit of Setting Resolutions I decided to do the same last year and so in continuing that tradition here are the 2011 Resolutions. We will, of course, come back and re-look at these next year and see how we fared. So here are my 11 for 11!

  1. STAY HEALTHY: Make sure that I use the gym at least 50% of the time i.e 183 days at least. Why 50%? Because I travel a lot and because weekends are off-limits.
  2. STAY HAPPY: Try to reduce stress as much as possible. Remember nothing in life is worth stressing about.
  3. BE A GOOD FRIEND: Unobtrusive, always at hand, helpful, lending a shoulder. Try not to loose a friendship. Be open in thoughts. Do not judge anyone.
  4. BE A GOOD HUSBAND & FATHER: Take care of the family. Do not be a cause of stress to wife and kids. Be helpful to kids and stand by them. Try to inculcate good values in them through practice and not preaching.
  5. TRY NEW THINGS: Push the limits of experience. Try new things - be they food or experiences. Bungee Jumping and Sky Diving are two things I want to do this year.
  6. LEARN GOLF: This is a unfulfilled resolutions carried over from last year. Its a great game and teaches one a lot of patience and focus. Try to learn golf.
  7. HAVE MORE HOLIDAYS: Learn to relax and chill. Try to have at least 1 holiday every quarter with family and friends.
  8. BUILD A BRAND: Build a brand for myself. Try to see if I can use my experience and knowledge to build a name for myself. Try to speak on marketing at colleges and events - at least 6 speaking opps this year. Try to blog on marketing on a popular site - at least 12 blogs in the year.
  9. BLOG MORE: Continue blogging on this and my other blog. While the Book Review blog is active based on the books that I read, this blog has suffered. I want to try and cross 150 blogs on this blog - thats 70 blogs in 365 days.
  10. EDUCATE MYSELF: Identify the gaps in my skill sets and undergo training to fill those gaps. These could be executive education or sessions in that particular skill set. Constantly try to learn new skills and things. Keep the brain active. More importantly use those skills in daily life - professional or personal.
  11. PUBLISH SOMETHING: Try to get my writing published. Could be a book, an article, a story, a letter but try and see if my writing can be spread wider.
So there we are - my 11 for 11.

Revisit in end december 2010 to see if I have done any of these.

No comments:

Post a Comment