Sunday, February 6, 2011

Crazy / Cute in Love!

And so its the Love Season again. Valentine's day is around the corner and the world has turned pink with media, shops, websites all inciting people to spend money in pursuit of love. Of course the meaning of love changes with every generation. While in our parents time it was supposed to happen only after marriage, in our times some of us were bold enough to love before marraige and in the next generation 'love' is a commodity to be freely exchanged.....or is that lust? I can never be sure.

But when you are in the throes of love there are so many things you do which in hindsight seem insane. And you wonder what made you do that? I call these the Crazy or Cute (depends which side of the fence you are) things in Love. When you did it, it seemed like the best thing to show her/him the depth of your love. A few years later you wondered if you were in the right senses or you thought that you were so naive and cute.

As I looked back I thought of the things that I have done in love and so here are some of the crazy/cute things that I have done in Love in random order.
  • I guess the first woman most men do something for is their mom. I remember collecting money in my piggy bank and then on one of her birthdays going to a shop and buying lipstick for her. I bought a couple of them, gift wrapped them and a gave it to her on her birthday. That was an 'awww' moment.
  • As I grew older my focus of course shifted to girls my age although I was a complete introvert. I remember having a massive crush on a girl in my study class in 11th std called Madhu L. She was a Gujju with flowing curvy hair and I would wait at the Santacruz railway station for her to come and (in my stick figure bravado) ensure that she would get into the train at 5.30am when we would go to our classes in Dadar. I wrote her name on pieces of paper and on my clothes!
  • Then came Engineering college and I 'fell in love' with a Tam Bram girl with long plaited hair who was one year junior to me - Sripriya G. She said she wanted an engg book that she saw with me. Instead of loaning her mine, I went out and bought her one. For Valentine's I actually put a message for her in the newspaper hoping she would notice it. I wrote a story that got published in Indian Express for Valentine's Day that was around a guy initiating a Rose Day in college for the girl he loved.
  • The best was saved for the last, of course. This time I really was in love. I wrote poems for her. I made gifts for her. I wrote stories, learnt to ride a bike and was like a moth drawn to a flame. And when she said that our 'affair' would be over when she shifted from Delhi to Bangalore at the end of our management course, I was distraught. I convinced my parents that Bangalore was a much better option in terms of job even though I had an offer from Delhi as well where they stayed. For her and to convince her that ours was a long term relationship I shifted to Bangalore, stayed in PG acco's where we got worms for brakfast but re-initiated our 'affair' to convince her. This one, thankfully, resulted in a happy ending and we've been married now for 12 years. The crazy/sute things have continued after that as well. I've written or made greeting cards for my wife, bought presents and tried to keep her happy! :)

There have, of course, been girls that I knew I was 'in love with' and I bought multiple gifts and did crazy or cute things for them like gifting books, doing their work, worrying about them, making things for them and so on. The story has been one-sided till I stuck gold with my wife and life has been golden since!

So what's your crazy/cute Love Story?

2 comments:

  1. Kaushal nice...loved reading it. i totally agree with you on continuing the crazy little things that one has done in the past....as i do believe is a "Verb" or the action that you do in the form of these crazy little or big things....and the feeling for each other is a derivative of that action.....so along as the action/verb continues the derivative/feeling will continue to be there and you would never out of love for your spouse :):) although this might sound a bit scientifc but i find this as the best explanation of this whole "love" phenomenon...

    ReplyDelete
  2. reposted as the earlier one had a typo....Kaushal nice...loved reading it. i totally agree with you on continuing the crazy little things that one has done in the past....as i do believe "Love" is a "Verb" or the action that you do in the form of these crazy little or big things....and the feeling for each other is a derivative of that action.....so along as the action/verb continues the derivative/feeling will continue to be there and you would never out of love for your spouse :):) although this might sound a bit scientifc but i found this as the best explanation of this whole "love" phenomenon...

    ReplyDelete