Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Day 53 - Value

Why is it that we understand the value of anything after its gone away? This holds true more for the emotional state of mind rather than the physical materialistic things.

In the physical materialistic world the next car, computer, mobile phone, TV, music system etc is better than the previous one. We strive for getting the latest cutting edge technology into our lives and the concept of value is fluid.

But some into the emotional space and 'value' suddenly takes on a completely different meaning. So the question really should be 'In the emotional space, why is it that we understand the value of anything only after its gone away?'

Its been a month since Gina's passing and the outpouring of grief and statements of love make you understand that people miss her so much. I knew her for 12 years and always took her for granted. For me, she was the invincible one - the one who will outlive all of us for her sheer energy, her exuberance, her joie de vivre, her healthy lifestyle and just her will to live. One month ago all that suddenly changed in one second. And I understood her 'value' in my life and the deep respect that I had for her. Why did I realise that only after she was gone? Why don't we show our value for people when they are with us? Why do we wait to say all the things about a person only after they are gone? I realise today that if I had to do anything innovative, off the world and that would open people's eyes - Gina was the person to go to.

Do you value your parents? I have always maintained that every child must go to a hostel to understand the value of what parents do for them and the value of 'home'. We take all this for granted. But when I went away to a hostel to study engineering, I realised the value of home and parents. I understood the value of home food and the taste of it. I value my mom's cooking more today and wait for her to come to my house on her vacation. My wife who has never lived away from her parents does not understand that as much and early in our marraige would not understand why I needed to talk to them long distance every week.

The whole concept of 'show your value for someone' is so cliched! But its also very true. If you value someone remember to show them that from time to time. It need not be the fact that you call them or face them and say 'I Value you and love you' everytime but it could be through a show of small things like calling them or maybe giving them personal gifts on their special occasions or even making something for them.

Tell them and show them that you care and they are valuable! Its important!

No comments:

Post a Comment