Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Day 19 - Mind Over Body

First, have a look at this video before you read the blog today - Mind Over Body. (If it opens up in the same window, do come back after viewing it)

Now tell me isn't that awesome? I really admire people like this person who can have a bohemian spirit even in the face of extreme adversity. It makes you wonder what the human mind is capable of.

What makes people like him tick? What makes them live life in such high spirits even when they can look around them and realise that other people are so 'lucky'? What makes their minds so strong that they do not succumb to depression but rise above their limitations and are able to show people like us how to live life?

I have HUGE admiration for people who can make their mind work over their bodies and live life really King Size. The first time I heard about Christopher Reeve's accident I was devastated - not because it was Superman who lost the faculties of his limbs but because I could not imagine a life where you have lived healthily for so many years and then suddenly find yourself without the use of your body. How does one live like that? Doesn't one think about all the 'good' times in one's life of running, playing etc and then look at oneself and feel pity and depression? What does it take for a Christopher Reeve to live a healthy life even after the accident? What did he say to himself to live a life like that? I had nothing but tremendous appreciation and respect for him in his second life.

The same admiration applies to people who discover that they have a life threatening disease but use their willpower to fight it and come back. Lance Armstrong, Amitabh Bachchan, our aunty next door, my dad and so many others. They have gone through hell with the disease, had surgeries and body abuse and used their willpower to fight the pain and come back standing tall.

I sometimes wonder that if I ever find myself in such a situation, will I be strong enough to use my mind over body and win the battle or will I wallow in self pity and go into a downward spiral of depression?

I hope I am strong enough and like the man in the video says - "I have the willpower to stand up after I have fallen".

No comments:

Post a Comment